* For setup and installtion of the 154xB see
NeXTanswers document number 1107.
* For setup and installtion of the 154xC/CF see
NeXTanswers document number 1108.
* NEXTSTEP does not officially support the floppy controller integrated into the 1542B. Use the floppy controller integrated into your system's motherboard.
* When installing NEXTSTEP onto an IDE hard disk drive, the CD-ROM drive's SCSI ID number should be zero.
* Some users have reported problems during the installation process if the CD-ROM drive's SCSI ID number is set to zero. NEXTSTEP will freeze after displaying the message rootdev 608 when this problem is encountered. Setting the CD-ROM drive's SCSI ID to six has fixed the problem when nothing else seemed to work.
* Improper SCSI termination can cause strange, unreproducible errors. Be certain that the first and last devices on the SCSI bus (and only these two devices) are terminated. For more information on this topic, see NeXTanswers document number 1109_SCSI_Setup.
* Avoid system configurations combining an Adaptec 154xB/C/CF and an ATI Ultra Pro EISA card. A hardware conflict exists which causes data corruption on SCSI hard disks.
* If your system includes an Adaptec 1542B and you do not have jumper six enabled it will hang. It will boot off the floppy and recognize the SCSI drives, but instead of starting the install process, it will hang with the messages:
fdisk: bogus bios info
some bios' can't handle non-sequential targets.
* The Adaptec 1542B does not support 2.88MB floppy drives attached as SCSI devices.
Future / Update Planning: Reason for New Driver / Update: New Driver / Update Timeframe:
New Driver / Update Description: Adaptec 154xCP (ISA) * Plug and Play
*Has not been tested by SQA. This is reported to have worked.
Note: Information contained in the "Future Planning" section of this document does not constitute a commitment on the part of NeXT to complete the planned development work.
* - Any NeXTanswer number that is blank indicates that a driver will not be released for this version of NEXTSTEP.
** - Indicates information that is inclusive of the entire capability of this driver. Not all devices supported by this driver may include all features listed. Check any available NeXTanswers and the hardware manual for the device for additional information.
691 South Milpitas Blvd.
Milpitas, CA 95035
+1 (408) 945 8600 international phone number
+1 (800) 959 7274 USA toll-free (customer support) phone
+1 (408) 945 7727 bulletin board system
+1 (408) 957 7150 faxback system
+1 (408) 262 2533 fax