Installing Update 1 of the Adaptec 6x60 Series SCSI Adapter Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the Adaptec 6x60 series SCSI adapter device driver on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.2. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named Adaptec6x60SCSIDriver.pkg.
You can use the Adaptec 6x60 series SCSI adapter device driver to take advantage of the on-board SCSI adapters included with the following computers:
You can also use the Adaptec 6x60 series SCSI adapter device driver to take advantage of the following SCSI adapters :
ManufacturerAdapterPC Bus Notes
Adaptec AVA-1505A ISA Nonbootable PIO (no DMA)
Adaptec AVA-1510A ISA Nonbootable PIO (no DMA)
Adaptec AHA-1520A ISA PIO (no DMA)
Compaq SCSI Adapter ISA
1. If you received the Adaptec6x60SCSIDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the Adaptec6x60SCSIDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the Adaptec6x60SCSIDriver.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install the package, click Install. Then if a panel asks you to confirm you want to overwrite existing files, click Continue.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
7. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (in /NextAdmin).
8. Click the SCSI icon at the top of Configure's Summary window. If Adaptec AIC6X60 SCSI Driver V3.2.2 is already in the list of devices in the SCSI Devices window, choose Quit from the Configure menu and skip to step 11.
9. If Adaptec AIC6X60 SCSI Driver V3.2.2 isn't in the list of devices, click the Add button and in the Add SCSI Devices panel that opens, click Adaptec AIC6X60 SCSI Driver V3.2.2 and then click Add.
10. Choose Save from the Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
11. If you created a copy of the Adaptec6x60SCSIDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
12. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the new device driver.
For information about the logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.