Installing Version 1 of the Cogent EM960 PCI Ethernet Adapter Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install version 1 of the Cogent EM960 PCI Ethernet Adapter device driver on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.2. This new driver is distributed in an Installer package file named CogentEM960NetworkDriver.pkg.
This driver is designed to support the Cogent EM960 PCI Ethernet Adapter. The EM960 PCI adapter is well-suited for resource-intensive graphics, multimedia, and mission-critical applications that need high data throughput across a network while placing limited demands on the computer's CPU.
Self-configuring and IEEE 802.3 Ethernet compatible, the Cogent EM960 PCI supports 132 MBytes per second (33MHz) burst data rates and requires a five volt, 32-bit, bus-mastering PCI slot.
Be sure to dedicate at least one IRQ level to your computer's PCI bus.
Installing the Updated Driver
1. Turn on your computer.
2. If you received the CogentEM960NetworkDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
3. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
4. If you received the CogentEM960NetworkDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
5. Double-click the CogentEM960NetworkDriver.pkg file.
6. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install software for Intel-based computers, click Install. If a panel warns you you're about to overwrite an existing file, click Continue.
7. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
Configuring the Updated Driver
1. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (it's in /NextAdmin).
2. Click the Network icon at the top of Configure's Summary window .
3. If you don't have any network devices in your configuration, the Add Network Devices panel opens right away. If you do already have a network device in your configuration, delete it by selecting it in the list of devices at the top of the window and click the Delete button. Then click the Add button in the Add Network Devices panel.
4. Select "Cogent eMaster+ EM960 PCI Ethernet Adapter" in the scrolling list in the Add Network Devices panel. Then click Add.
5. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
Removing the Install Package and Restarting the Computer
1. If you created a copy of the CogentEM960NetworkDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
2. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the login window Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the device driver. The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors. For information concerning compatibility issues and bugs, refer to NeXTanswers(TM).
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.
CogentEM960NetworkDriver.ReadMe.rtf, Version 1, 08-18-94