Installing Update 1 of the HP Vectra XM and XP on-board Ethernet Controller Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the HP XM XP Vectra on-board Ethernet controller device driver on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.2. This new driver is distributed in an Installer package file named HPVectra_XM_XP_LANDriver.pkg.
This driver is designed to support the AMD Am79C960 on-board 16-bit Ethernet controller included with the HP Vectra XM and XP series of computers. With this updated driver, you can connect your computer to your network using AUI, BNC, or RJ-45 connectors. In addition, hardware multicast support has been added.
This driver defaults to DMA channel 6, IRQ 5, and Port 300.
Note: The on-board controller subsystem hardware defaults to DMA channel 5. Change the driver default DMA channel to match the hardware unless you have other hardware DMA contentions.
Note that valid port addresses are 0x300, 0x320, 0x340, and 0x360.
Note that other adapters, notably the Adaptec 154X Ethernet adapters, may have defaults that contend for the same values.
Installing the Updated Driver
1. Turn on your computer.
2. If you received the HPVectra_XM_XP_LANDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
3. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
4. If you received the HPVectra_XM_XP_LANDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
5. Double-click the HPVectra_XM_XP_LANDriver.pkg file.
6. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install software for Intel-based computers, click Install. If a panel warns you you're about to overwrite an existing file, click Continue.
7. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
Configuring the Updated Driver
1. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (it's in /NextAdmin).
2. Click the Network icon at the top of Configure's Summary window .
3. If you don't have any network devices in your configuration, the Add Network Devices panel opens right away. If you do already have a network device in your configuration (even if it's an earlier version of the HP Vectra XM and XP on-board Ethernet driver), delete it by selecting it in the list of devices at the top of the window and click the Delete button. Then click the Add button in the Add Network Devices panel.
4. Select "HP Vectra XM and XP on-board Ethernet" in the scrolling list in the Add Network Devices panel. Then click Add.
5. In the Network Devices window, select the settings for DMA (3, 5, or 6), IRQ, and port (0x300, 0x320, 0x340, or 0x360), according to your computer's requirements.
6. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
Removing the Install Package and Restarting the Computer
1. If you created a copy of the HPVectra_XM_XP_LANDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
2. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the login window Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the device driver. The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.