Installing Update 1 of the Intel TokenExpress ISA/16s Token-Ring Network Adapter Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the Intel TokenExpress ISA/16s Token-Ring network adapter device driver on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.2. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named TokenExpressDriver.pkg.
With this updated driver:
* You can now use TokenExpress adapters that have an incorrect hardware address checksum stored in their EEROM chips.
* You can now use any of the six DMA channels supported by the TokenExpress adapter: 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, or 7.
* You can now use TokenExpress adapters with sound cards, because the updated driver requires only 272K low memory. In addition, you can use the TokenExpress adapter with Sound Blaster and compatible sound cards, though you need to change the TokenExpress adapter's I/O port address from the default setting of 0xA20 to either 0xA24, 0xA50, or 0xA54.
1. Install the TokenExpress network adapter in your computer, as described in the owner's guide that came with the adapter and the instructions above. Then turn on your computer.
2. If you received the TokenExpressDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
3. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
4. If you received the TokenExpressDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
5. Double-click the TokenExpressDriver.pkg file.
6. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install software for Intel-based computers, click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
7. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
8. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (it's in /NextAdmin).
9. Click the Network icon at the top of Configure's Summary window. If Intel TokenExpress ISA Token-Ring Adapter is already selected in the list of devices in the Network Devices window, skip to step 11.
10. If Intel TokenExpress ISA Token-Ring Adapter isn't in the list of devices, click the Add button and in the Add Network Devices panel that opens, click Intel TokenExpress ISA Token-Ring Adapter and then click Add.
11. In the Network Devices window, select the settings that match the way you installed and configured your network adapter (as described earlier in this document).
13. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
14. If you created a copy of the TokenExpressDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
15. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the device driver.
The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.