Installing Update 1 of the Cogent EISA Network Adapter Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the Cogent EISA network adapter device driver on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.2. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named CogentEISADriver.pkg.
This driver supports two models of Cogent EISA network adapters: The Cogent eMASTER+ EM932 EISA and the Cogent eMASTER+ EM935 EISA XL.
1. Install the Cogent EISA network adapter in your computer, as described in the owner's guide that came with the adapter. Then turn on your computer.
2. If you received the CogentEISADriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
3. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
4. If you received the CogentEISADriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
5. Double-click the CogentEISADriver.pkg file.
6. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install software for Intel-based computers, click Install.
7. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
8. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (it's in /NextAdmin).
9. Click the Network icon at the top of Configure's Summary window .
10. If you don't have any network devices in your configuration, the Add Network Devices panel opens right away. If you do already have a network device in your configuration, delete it by selecting it in the list of devices at the top of the window and click the Delete button. Then click the Add button to open the Add Network Devices panel.
11. Select your model of Cogent EISA network adapter in the scrolling list in the Add Network Devices panel. Then click Add.
12. In the Network Devices window, select the IRQ that matches the one you assigned to the adapter with your computer's EISA Configuration Utility (ECU).
13. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
14. If you created a copy of the CogentEISADriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
15. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the device driver.
The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.