Installing Update 1 of the Adaptec 154x Series SCSI Adapter Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the Adaptec 154x series SCSI adapter device driver on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEPd Release 3.2. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named Adaptec154xDriver.pkg.
Update 1 of the Adaptec 154x series SCSI adapter device driver lets you take advantage of the following SCSI adapters:
ManufacturerAdapterPC Bus Notes
Adaptec 1540B ISA
Adaptec 1542B ISA
Adaptec 1540C ISA
Adaptec 1542C ISA
Adaptec 1540CF ISA
Adaptec 1542CF ISA
Adaptec 1740 EISA in standard 154x mode only
Adaptec 1742 EISA in standard 154x mode only
Bus Logic 542B ISA
Bus Logic 747S EISA
Bus Logic 445S VL-Bus
The updated driver lets you use a hard disk larger than 1 gigabyte as a startup disk, if your SCSI adapter features extended BIOS translation (previously, this was only possible with the Adaptec 154xC adapter).
The updated driver also improves support for the Adaptec 154xC and 154xCF adapters, particularly in cases where these adapters weren't always detected when starting up the computer.
1. If you received the Adaptec154xDriver.pkg file via NeXTmaild or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the Adaptec154xDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Managerd application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the Adaptec154xDriver.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install the package, click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
7. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (in /NextAdmin).
8. Click the SCSI icon at the top of Configure's Summary window. If Adaptec 154x Series SCSI Adapter is already selected in the list of devices in the SCSI Devices window, choose Quit from the Configure menu and skip to step 11.
9. If Adaptec 154x Series SCSI Adapter isn't in the list of devices, click the Add button and in the Add SCSI Devices panel that opens, click Adaptec 154x Series SCSI Adapter and then click Add.
10. Choose Save from the Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
11. If you created a copy of the Adaptec154xDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
12. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the updated device driver.
For information about the logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.