Installing Update 1 of the Serial Port Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install update 1 of the serial port device driver on Intel-based computers running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.1. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named SerialPortDriver.pkg.
1. If you received the SerialPortDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the SerialPortDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the SerialPortDriver.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install software for Intel-based computers, click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
7. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (in /NextAdmin).
8. Click the Other icon at the top of Configure's Summary window.
9. If On-Board Serial Ports is already in the list of devices in the Other Devices window, choose Quit from the Configure menu and skip to step 12.
10. If On-Board Serial Ports is not in the list of devices, click the Add button and in the Add Other Devices panel that opens, click On-Board Serial Ports and then click Add.
11. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
12. If you created a copy of the SerialPortDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
13. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the updated device driver.
The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc. UNIX is a registered trademark of UNIX Systems Labs.