Installing Update 1 of the Intel EtherExpress Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the updated Intel EtherExpress device driver on Intel-based computers running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.1. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named EtherExpressDriver.pkg.
With this updated driver, you can connect your computer to your network using your Intel EtherExpress network adapter's BNC, AUI, or RJ-45 connector.
The following models of the EtherExpress network adapter have been tested with this driver:
* EtherExpress16, first generation (BNC and AUI connectors)
* EtherExpress16TP, first and second generations (RJ-45 and AUI connectors)
* EtherExpress16C (BNC, RJ-45, and AUI connectors)
In addition, the second generation of the EtherExpress16 is anticipated to work, but has not been tested.
1. If you received the EtherExpressDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the EtherExpressDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the EtherExpressDriver.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install software for Intel-based computers, click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
7. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (in /NextAdmin).
8. Click the Network icon at the top of Configure's Summary window.
9. If Intel EtherExpress Ethernet Adapter is already in the list of Network devices, skip to step 11.
10. If Intel EtherExpress Ethernet Adapter is not in the list of Network devices, click the Add button and in the Add Network Devices panel that opens, select Intel EtherExpress Ethernet Adapter and then click Add.
11. In the Network Devices window, click the button that matches the connector on the adapter you want to connect your network cable to.
12. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
13. If you created a copy of the EtherExpressDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
14. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the updated device driver.
The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.