Installing Update 1 of the Epson Wingine Graphics Adapter Device Driver for NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors
These instructions show you how to install the updated device driver for the Epson Wingine graphics adapter on an Intel-based computer running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.1. The driver lets you take advantage of the 1120 x 832 display mode supported by the Epson NX computer's Epson Wingine graphics adapter. It also lets you take advantage of the lower resolution display modes supported by the Epson Progression NX and by other computers that use the Epson Wingine graphics adapter. The driver is distributed in an Installer package file named EpsonWingineDriver.pkg.
1. If you received the EpsonWingineDriver.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the updated device driver. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the EpsonWingineDriver.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the EpsonWingineDriver.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you to confirm that you want to install the package, click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
7. Start up the Configure application by double-clicking Configure.app (in /NextAdmin).
8. Click the Video icon at the top of Configure's Summary window and then click Select in the Display Mode area of the Video Devices view to open the Select Display Mode panel.
9. If you have an Epson NX computer, select the 1120 x 832 display mode with the highest refresh rate your display can support. If you have an Epson Progression NX or another kind of computer, select the appropriate1124 x 768 or lower resolution display mode. Then click OK.
10. Choose Save from Configure's Configuration menu and then choose Quit.
11. If you created a copy of the EpsonWingineDriver.pkg file in step 1, drag the copy to the recycler.
12. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window. Note: You must restart your computer after installing and configuring the updated device driver.
The next time you start up your computer, it will use the new driver to display NEXTSTEP in the display mode you selected in Configure.
For information about the logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about the Configure application, see Installing and Configuring NEXTSTEP Release 3.1 for Intel Processors.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.