Installing Update 1 of the Precompiled Header Patch for NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.2 for PA-RISC Computers
These instructions show you how to install the precompiled header patch on computers running NEXTSTEP(TM) Developer Release 3.2 for PA-RISC computers. The patch is distributed in an Installer package file named PrecompiledHeaderPatch.pkg.
Precompiled headers built with NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.2 for PA-RISC computers are incompatible with NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.2 for NeXT and Intel-based computers, and vice versa. The precompiled header patch contains updated versions of the HeaderViewer application, C preprocessor, and precompiled headers for NEXTSTEP Developer Release 3.2 for PA-RISC computers that allow you to exchange precompiled headers with NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 for NeXT and Intel-based computers.
Caution: Make sure you install the precompiled header patch after you install the DeveloperTools.pkg and DeveloperLibs.pkg packages from the NEXTSTEP Developer CD-ROM. Otherwise, you will replace the new, compatible software from the patch with the incompatible software from the CD-ROM.
Installing the Precompiled Header Patch
1. If you received the PrecompiledHeaderPatch.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root. Only the superuser, root, can install the package. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the PrecompiledHeaderPatch.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive. Choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the PrecompiledHeaderPatch.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you what kinds of computers you want to install the software for, select NeXT, Intel, and PA-RISC computers and click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu. The contents of the package are now installed on your computer.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, and the Installer application, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide. For information about precompiled headers, see the NEXTSTEP Developer's Library.
NeXT, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.