Installing Update 1 of the DOS File System Patch for NEXTSTEP Release 3.2
These instructions show you how to install the DOS file system patch on NeXT and Intel-based computers running NEXTSTEP(TM) Release 3.2. The patch is distributed in an Installer package file named DOSFileSysPatch.pkg.
This update corrects a number of problems in the way NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 works with DOS file systems, most notably:
* You can now use DOS partitions larger than 32 megabytes, without risk of corrupting the files on that partition.
* The File Viewer now accurately reports the space available on DOS partitions larger than 32 megabytes.
* You can now use removable DOS hard disks (such as Syquest and Bernoulli disks).
* You can now work with some of the DOS partitions that NEXTSTEP Release 3.2 was unable to "mount."
Caution: Take care not to fill up all the space on a DOS partition, or NEXTSTEP will stop running. (The File Viewer reports the space available on a DOS partition when you select the partition or any file or folder in it.)
1. If you received the DOSFileSysPatch.pkg file via NeXTmail(TM) or another electronic source, place a copy of the file in a location where you can access it when you log in as root.
2. Log in as root.
Only the superuser, root, can install the package. If you're not sure how to log in as root, see your system administrator.
3. If you received the DOSFileSysPatch.pkg file on a floppy disk, insert the disk in the floppy disk drive and choose Check for Disks from the Workspace Manager(TM) application's Disk menu. When the disk icon appears in the File Viewer, double-click it to open it.
4. Double-click the DOSFileSysPatch.pkg file.
5. Click the Install button in the Installer package window. When the panel asks you what kinds of computers you want to install the software for, select your kind of computer and click Install. Then click Continue in the panel that warns you you're about to overwrite existing files.
6. When the installation is complete, choose Quit from the Installer menu.
7. Choose Log Out from the Workspace menu and then click the Restart button in the Login window.
Note: You must restart your computer after installing the package.
The next time you start up your computer, it will take advantage of the new DOS file system software.
For information about logging in and out, the Workspace Manager application, the Installer application, and working with DOS file systems, see the NEXTSTEP User's Guide.
NeXT, the NeXT logo, NEXTSTEP, NeXTmail, and Workspace Manager are trademarks of NeXT Computer, Inc.